Much is said about staying healthy. Not only in challanging times, but always. While scientists…
How to get a stronger back?
Our last article discussed reducing backache with asanas. In continuation of our goal to relieve your backache, We have come up with another asana which will help you alleviate and reduce backache for good. People commonly suffer from back problems due to increased stress and weak muscles bearing the stress. The asana discussed today strengthens back along with numerous holistic benefits.
This asana translates in Sanskrit as the intense stretch of the west (pashima = west, uttana = intense stretch). This asana was originally mentioned in the book Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
It is imperative to prepare for this asana by slow breathing techniques. The goal of this asana transcends its physical benefits. It refers to giving birth to ‘vairagya’ bhava within. As stated in sutra 1.16 of the Yoga Sutras this bhava explains how we should learn to be objective in life. This objectivity can be gained by a perspective that offers distance from situations. We need to successfully detach and witness our lives ahead of us. Ideally, we should aim to surrender ourselves to the higher reality. This shall encourage us to let go of our ego.
Preparatory pose Balasana
Staff pose Dandasana
This asana generates immense Spiritual Awareness: Manipura chakra and Physical Awareness: Back, hamstrings, chest, abdomen, shoulders. Pressure on the thorax and abdomen.
Dosha Suitability: It reduces Vata and Pitta
You can watch our detailed instructions video on Youtube for the best understanding below.
- It instills massive calmness within us by becoming more mindful of our breath.
- Stimulates the circulation in our abdominal organs and provides internal movement and massage.
- It commonly relieves symptoms of menopause and menstrual discomfort during days most females experience cramps and aches.
- It successfully soothes headaches, anxiety, and reduces fatigue in our entire body.
- Therapeutic for patients suffering from grave problems like high blood pressure, infertility, insomnia, sinusitis.
- It intensely stretches the hamstrings. Tight hamstrings usually lead to an extremely poor posture and can indirectly cause back issues.
- It tends to put excessive strain on the knee and hip joints.
- Paschimottanasana can help to maintain the legs in a full natural range of motion. This allows for equitable pressure and stress distribution anatomically.
- Prepares the body for a deeper state of meditation.
- It also successfully tones belly fat accumulated in the abdominal region.
People suffering from these problems should avoid doing this exercise:
- Acute disc prolapse
- Resolving disc prolapse
- Gross osteoarthritis of the knee
- Pregnant women in their last trimester
- Pelvis deformity
- Severe peptic ulcers
Yoga practice provides immense preventive health benefits, but is not a substitute for medicine.
This signifies the importance of learning and practicing yoga postures under the skilled supervision of a trained Yoga Institute teacher.
In case of persistent medical conditions, practicing yoga postures should only be carried out after consulting a doctor or Yoga Institute teacher.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for more information about learning Yoga.
Ask information regarding programs and feedback in the comments below.
For elaborated in depth information participate to our activities or send an inquiry by e-mail to: The Yoga Institute France